Monday, March 5, 2012

JPL Book Sale

JPL had a book sale this weekend at their University Branch warehouse.  We went Saturday just to check it out and found a few good books.  It was almost overwhelming, though, looking through the stacks.  The workers there told us to come back on Sunday, because the books (which were priced between 50 cents and $2) would only be $10 a bag - as full as you can make it.  I'm always one to take up a challenge, so I headed back today.  However, I got there at noon when it was just opening, and there was already a line around the building.  So I left.

I came back, though, around 2, with my husband, and we had an unspoken (friendly) competition to see who could get the best money's worth of books.  He came out 23 books to my 15, but most of mine were either professional resources, award winners, and/or best selling authors, as well as hard back and in good condition. So I figure, I win.


Day One:  13 books
  Trav picked up four of the 5 Piers Anthony series.  He found the last book on Sunday.  I grabbed a Laur Bush Bio, YA books Going Bovine and Into the Wild, Oates' We Were the Mulvaneys, and three of my favorite children's books:  Walk Two Moons, Wrinkle in Time (with related short stories at the end), and the second book in the Tripod's series, City of Gold and Lead.  Oh, and Ray Bradury's short story collection The Cat's Pajamas, which is my current bedside reading.

Day Two: Trav's finds
 He picked up:
almost the complete Mission Earth series from L. Ron Hubbard, 
some "lawyer" books by John Grisham, 
spy novels, 
Robert Ludlum's Bourne books, and
 the last book in the Clan of the Cave Bear series, to name a few.

Day Two: My finds


Professional Resources:
From Cover to Cover:  Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books,
Bookplay: 101 Creative Themes to Share With Young Children, and
The Kids' Book Club Book

Children's/YA:
(all in hardback, mint condition, I might add!)
After Tupac and D. Foster by Jacqueline Woodson,
Hush by Jacqueline Woodson,
The Loud Silence of Francine Green,
Hope Was Here,
When the Whistle Blows,
Moonpie and Ivy (mother-daughter book included in my bibliography),
What Would Joey Do? (from Newbery winner Jack Gantos)

Sadly, I don't know a lot about adult fiction because I don't spend a whole lot of time reading it. (I'm trying to fix this.) I REALLY wanted a copy of Daphne DeMaurier's Rebecca in hardback and an old edition, but I couldn't find that book anywhere, and the classics section was completely picked through.  Here's what I found:
The Kite Runner,
From Dead to Worse (#8 in the Sookie Stackhouse series),
S.E. Hinton's Hawkes Harbor,
Sarah Dessen's This Lullaby 
(I remember my sister loving this author when she was in high school). and
Carl Hiassen's Nature Girl.

Now I need to figure out where to put all of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment