Thursday, March 8, 2012

More Books

Yesterday was the 100th Art Walk in downtown Jacksonville, so we hit it up hoping they would have some special events going on.  Well, the art/crafts/solicitations (really, there was a Scentsy stand, and at one point we walked into what looked more like a wedding expo than an art walk) were slightly underwhelming, but the local street bands provided good music for our ears.


We ended up going into Chamblin's to look around, where I found a couple of books.  It's harder getting lost in the Uptown store than the gargantuan store on Roosevelt.  I ended up with three books, setting me back $38.  It was quite a shock after getting well over 50 books at the JPL sale for less than that.  Oh well.  Here's what I found:

Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel.  I was looking for a good copy of Rebecca, but those were all old, crusty, pocket paperbacks.  I never heard of this title, but I figure if I enjoy it half as much as I did Rebecca, it'll be good enough for me.

John Green's The Fault in Our Stars.  I haven't read a bad John Green book yet.  I took Looking for Alaska on vacation with me one summer, and it consumed me until I finished it.  My nieces probably didn't appreciate that.

Joyce Carol Oates's Dear Husband, stories.  I'm starting to have a thing for reading short stories.  They're lovely when I only have a few minutes to read, or right before bed when I don't want to stay up half the night because I can't put a book down.  I like that Oates can be dark and a bit creepy.  She has a way of putting a death grip on you, and even if you're disturbed by what you're reading, you can't stop.

On a side note, I am having a nice reprieve from reading children's books.  I still have my weekly books to read for my children's lit class, but that's the extent of my reading for that genre right now.  After my bibliography assignment, I needed a break from the children's department.  I'm getting into poetry as well, and am currently reading Money Shot by Rae Armantrout which I borrowed from the library.  I brought it along to the art walk last night, and as I was sitting outside of Burrito Gallery reading, a kind lady walked by and handed me a flyer to use as a bookmark. 








No comments:

Post a Comment