Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Just Finished Reading...



Wonder by R.J. Palacio

A boy born with an extreme facial deformity is going to school for the first time in his life, middle school to boot.  August Pullman knows 5th grade is going to be tough, but his parents promise he can quit anytime. In order to live a normal life outside of his sheltered home environment, he needs his teachers and peers to view him as the normal kid he is.  But it won't be easy.

This is a book that stays with you long after you've read the last page.  The characters are real, vulnerable, and honest.  No one admits to being perfect, and Palacio shows that we all make bad decisions sometimes.  Auggie is a sweet kid who could be or belong to any of us.  I often forgot while reading that he has a facial deformity until he and I were both reminded when he would encounter strangers' stares and masked horror upon meeting him.  Being a kid in school is hard enough, but Auggie's challenges are magnified due to his appearance.

The story is told from several of the characters' perspectives, allowing the reader to place himself in diverse roles and view the same situation from different sides in order to understand motivations and actions.  There are an equal number of male and female viewpoints (though they could be interchangeable), and the chapters are short allowing for appeal to a wide range of readers.  Palacio chooses to focus on her characters' acts of kindness and courage despite fear instead of the many acts of bullying.  Julian, the ringleader who refused to accept Auggie as a friend, is the only main character whom the reader does not get to understand his motivations as Palacio never writes from his point-of-view.  I was curious about this decision and how she chose to deal with his character at the end.   Perhaps she is showing that there are people out there who are just mean for no reason other than that is their character (and in this case, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree).

This book is highly recommended.  I first read about it in a blog review and immediately wanted to read it, but there was a waiting list at my library.  Then I went on vacation with my in-laws, and my SIL was reading it with my niece for their book club.  My MIL and I both read it that week after my SIL was finished with it.  MIL was in tears at certain points, and my niece kept checking on me to see where I was at in the book.  Every time she would say, "Oh, that's a good part!"  I recommend this book exchange hands with all in your household as well.

#thewonderofwonder

Anti-bullying campaign - Take the pledge to Choose Kind!   http://choosekind.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment