Saturday, June 6, 2009

Just Finished Reading...


48 HBC #1


Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson


reading time... 3 hours
review... 12 minutes


Historical fiction about the yellow fever epidemic that took the lives of thousands of Philadelphia's inhabitants. Mattie Cook, 14, lives with her mother and grandfather helping with chores in running Cooks Coffehouse. Shocking news comes one morning when the servant girl does not show for duty. Mattie learns she has died and each day more and more are falling ill with pestilence. Mattie has to grow up fast in order to survive as well as care for others.


The further I read, the more queasy I felt myself. I finally took my book over to the fridge and made some toast. Almost miraculously as the food was in my stomach, the first frost fell on Philadelphia and things began to take a turn for the better in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment